Sunday, September 25, 2011

PDR and a Great Race!

Hello all,

I hope you all had a great weekend! I know I sure did.

Because I need to get to bed, I'm going to give you a quick rundown of my weekend.

Thursday night, I went out to dinner for a friend's birthday. I was planning on going home after, but at the very last minute, I decided to go out. Who am I? I never decide to do things last minute.

I did have a good time, though.

To be honest, one of the main reasons I didn't want to go out was because I had a 9 mile run on the schedule for Friday. I wanted to go to bed early, wake up early, fuel properly, digest a bit, and head out. When I decided to go out and drink, though, I figured I'd move my long run to Saturday. I didn't think I'd be able to run 9 miles on very little sleep with errr....a little bit of a hangover. At the same time, though, I didn't want to delay my run until Saturday and spend all of friday obsessing about the run and thinking about the alcohol calories. I've come a long way in recovery, but I admit it: I'm still very guilty of worrying about alcohol calories.

So what did I do?

I woke up naturally around 8 AM on Friday and decided to give the long run a shot. After inhaling a mini clif bar, straping on my fuel belt equipped with 8 oz of G2 and a GU gel, I set off.

And what happened?

I RAN 10 MILES! I was only scheduled to run 9 miles, but after the first few miles, I felt great and just wanted to keep going. It felt great. It also felt really good to realize that even though everything didn't go according to plan the night before, everything turned out A-OK!

Friday night, I spent the night with two of my favorite chicas watching this little gem:
Hands down, best movie ever! I cry at the end 
every time without fail. 


I slept in Saturday morning, and it felt wonderful. I ate breakfast, relaxed for a bit, and popped out for a 3 mile recovery run.

When I returned, I showered, and headed out with the madre for bagels and some shopping action. I got new shoes! My trusty Asics are going downhill fast.

After shoping with my mama, I quicky assembled a pb&j for dinner because I had to make a 7pm showing of the Lion King 3D! Two of my friends and I went, and it was so much fun. I loved this movie as a kid, and it's safe to say that I still do.
The Circle of Life!

After the movie, my friends and I got some necessary Ben and Jerry's!

Before going to bed last night, I decided to run a 4 mile run through a local apple orchard this morning. It was a last minute decision but a good one indeed!

This morning, I woke up, fueled up, and headed to the orchard with my mom.

How'd the race go?

I'm not going to lie....it was tough...super tough! It was hot, muddy, and the terrain was anything but flat. I didn't realize the race was a trail run. I felt really good for the first two miles, but I started fatigue quickly after that. There was a huge hill at the end and it took everything in me to make it up.


I seriously wanted to collapse when I finished. I was happy to find out later, though, that I finished 2nd in my age group! 2nd!?!? I'm really not a super fast runner, and usually place closer to the middle, so I was super happy with the result. I actually finished 20th out of over 80 people. Not bad....not bad at all. No wonder why I was so tired, I was really pushing myself!

After the race, I got to pick a bag of apples! Yay : )

After returning home, I refueled....


and then hit the books. I spent the rest of the afternoon doing homework.

Finally I hosted a dinner for my sorority and then attended a sorority weekend.

As you can see, I had an awesome weekend. I pushed myself out of my comfort zone by making a lot of last minute decisions and going with the flow. I had fun with friends, spent time with my mom, and accomplished two great running-related things!

How was your weekend?
How are you with last minute decisions?

2 comments: